Single Malt Whisky
Our signature single malt.
Our Nova single malt whisky has received many global awards, including Double Gold medals at both the 2022 San Francisco World Spirits Competition and the 2022 New York World Spirits Competition. Nova is a true expression of our red wine barrel maturation process, boasting exceptional length and a layered complexity like no other single malt you've tasted before.
Nova borrows from tradition but breaks away from it too.
A deliciously balanced and bold whisky for sharing and mixing, Nova is matured exclusively in red wine barrels sourced from wineries making shiraz, cabernets and pinot noirs. This whisky reflects Melbourne unique nature in every sip. From the vibrant culinary scene to the wild weather, Nova celebrates all that is unique and wonderful about making whiskies in Melbourne.
Nose / Like we took bright flavours of red berries and orchard fruit and coated them in soft oak spice.
Palate / Imagine a rich red berry pudding covered in vanilla, caramel and spice.
Finish / Balanced and long. The sweetness fades and the delicious flavour goes on.
It all starts with our new-make spirit.
All Nova’s carefully sourced ingredients come from just a day’s drive away from the Melbourne distillery.
We double-distil our single malt whisky using Australian malted barley. Borrowing from the craft brewing scene, we ferment our barley with brewers’ yeast for an extra bold flavor. Then we installed custom water jackets on our giant copper stills to better control the distillation. It's tricks like this that mean we can pick the fruity characters we like and keep each batch consistent.
Then come the barrels.
We go local.
We source barrels from wineries in the nearby Yarra Valley and Barossa Valley so they keep their fresh red wine flavor profile. Then, they’re lightly charred or steamed. Often, the barrels are still wet with wine when we fill them.
For us, it's all about the flavor. As we fill our barrels at a lower alcohol proof than other single malts, our whisky takes in all the more red wine fruit characters and tannins.
Next comes climate
A far cry from the sunny Australian stereotype, Melbourne is famed for experiencing ‘four seasons in a day’. Bad news for beachgoers, good news for whisky. Fluctuating weather makes Nova work hard in the barrel, extracting maximum flavor from the wood in just a short time. We call this elemental maturation.
And it’s why we couldn’t make Nova anywhere else.
- Matthew W.Verified BuyerAge Bracket 65+What is your whisky wisdom? Regular whisky drinkerWhen would you drink this whisky? OtherWas this purchased as a gift or for your collection? Myself/ Collection1 week agoAge Bracket 65+What is your whisky wisdom? Regular whisky drinkerWhen would you drink this whisky? OtherWas this purchased as a gift or for your collection? Myself/ CollectionRated 3 out of 5 starsA reasonable drop
I found Nova enjoyable. But I am aware that you seem to specialise in small batch. I have found with you twofold that the second bottle was noticeably better than the first one. So I dringk whisky for the taste. Nova is so much better than brands like Johnny Walker and Black Douglas which are disappointing blends. So now you have impressed me with your other small batch productss and hence the standard I am applying may be a little unfair. But then again I will never buy Johnny Walker of Black douglas these days. So Nova was good but not as good as I had hoped given its aged a little more and cost more.
- Rick L.Verified Buyer4 weeks agoRated 5 out of 5 starsThe band didn’t practice very much the night I brought the Nova
Six guys. One bottle of Nova. Practice started. Two hours later…six guys. Empty bottle. It was a new whiskey for everyone. Everyone gave it two thumbs up. We didn’t learn any new tunes that night. But, we didn’t care.
- David P.Verified Buyer1 month agoRated 5 out of 5 stars5 stars is to low. It's 100 stars.
Amazing! It's smooth and smoky. An ephemeral experience that's light and fun. Pairs well with almost everything. I say almost because I haven't tried it with everything yet. It's as close to perfect as I am likely to ever get. Well worth it.
- Trevor R.Verified BuyerAge Bracket 55 - 64What is your whisky wisdom? Regular whisky drinkerWhen would you drink this whisky? With family & friendsWas this purchased as a gift or for your collection? Myself/ Collection1 month agoAge Bracket 55 - 64What is your whisky wisdom? Regular whisky drinkerWhen would you drink this whisky? With family & friendsWas this purchased as a gift or for your collection? Myself/ CollectionRated 5 out of 5 starsNovelty
By far one of the best whisky's I have had, it is smooth and has a rich flavour which is so good on the pallet, would highly recommend it to all whisky drinkers.
- Martina H.Verified Buyer3 months agoRated 5 out of 5 starsYum
My favourite so far